Factors That Can Make Losing Weight Even Harder Q&A
There are many medical conditions that can cause weight gain or prevent weight loss. Metabolic Medical Centers can help you with your weight loss and provide the understanding and tools that can help you be successful. Contact us today for more information or schedule an appointment online. We have multiple locations to serve you with clinics in Mount Pleasant SC, Irmo SC, West Ashley SC, Murrells Inlet SC, Columbia SC, and Bluffton SC.
Table of Contents:
What factors make it harder to lose weight?
What are the reasons you’re not losing weight?
How can I boost my metabolism?
What is the root cause of slow metabolism?
Weight loss isn’t always easy to do. The most common advice that is given is to watch what you eat and exercise more. Burning more calories than you consume will aid in you losing weight. This is what many fitness and nutrition experts tell us.
There are factors that can make this process more difficult. If you are eating a healthy diet, exercising, and still struggling to lose weight it is probably due to one or more factors.
There is a range of factors that can impact weight loss. You can find lists of factors that include these:
• Genetics can be a factor. Some people can consume whatever they want and never gain weight. Others seem to gain weight with everything they eat.
• Race or ethnicity can be a factor and there is growing evidence supporting this.
• Age is a factor as our body fat will increase steadily after the age of 30.
• Sex/Gender plays a factor and it seems that women are at a disadvantage.
• Diet is definitely a factor. Foods that are higher in sugar and fats will lead to weight gain.
• Exercise and activity are factors. Some exercises are better than others at helping to manage weight.
• Your family and culture will lead to problems with weight loss. We learn a lot from our families about food that we don’t realize, and not all of it is good.
• Sleep makes a difference. When we don’t get enough sleep it can affect our metabolism.
• Stress adds to weight gain.
• Medications and medical conditions are contributing factors to weight gain.
Some of the same factors that make it difficult to lose weight are the reasons you aren’t losing weight. Lack of sleep, too much stress, and not being active enough have already been mentioned. There are other things that we choose to do that can make weight management difficult. These include:
• You don’t drink enough water. Drinking water reduces the desire to drink sugary drinks.
• You space your meals too far apart. This can slow your metabolism.
• You eat out too often. Restaurant meals are often more than you need.
• Drinking too much alcohol affects decision-making and weight.
• Stress can lead to cravings for snacks.
• Your thyroid is not functioning properly, which can affect metabolism, energy levels, and muscle mass making it difficult to manage weight.
This is just a short list of the things that can make it difficult to lose weight.
Boosting your metabolism is an important factor in managing your weight. There are things that you can do to help improve it.
Building muscle is a good place to improve weight loss. Your resting metabolic rate is higher in people with more muscle.
Aerobic exercise may not build muscle, but it does get the metabolic functions working. This will continue for hours after your workout.
Spicy foods have a chemical in them that will give your metabolism a boost.
Good protein will increase your metabolism. More calories are required to digest protein than carbohydrates and it can give your metabolism a boost.
A slow metabolism can have a few root causes.
• Hormonal imbalances are a contributing factor for many people. Hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism can create imbalances in hormones that slow down metabolism. Stress can cause hormonal problems, as well.
• Lack of sleep.
• Drastic changes in diet can impact affects the metabolic rate.
• A sedentary lifestyle will slow your metabolism.
Weight loss can be a challenge for many people. Having help to identify what may be making it difficult can make a great deal of difference. Metabolic Medical Centers can help you with your weight loss and provide the understanding and tools that can help you be successful. Call us to find out how we can help you reach your weight management goals. We serve patients from Mount Pleasant SC, West Ashley SC, Murrells Inlet SC, Columbia SC, Bluffton SC, Sullivans Island SC, Isle of Palms SC, Daniel Island SC, Charleston SC, James Island SC, North Charleston SC, Pawleys Island SC, Myrtle Beach SC, Hilton Head SC, and Hardeeville SC.
Additional Services You May Need
- Accelerated Medical Weight Loss
- Whole Foods Weight Loss
- Ten Pound Trim Down Program
- Weightloss For Young Adults
- Weight Loss Programs
- Weight Loss Center
- Vitamin B12 Injections
- Fat Loss Treatment
- Weight Loss Meal Plan
- Weight Loss Doctors
- Med Spa Mount Pleasant
- Med Spa in Columbia, SC
- Weight Loss Specialist
- Weight Loss Center