Medical Weight Loss Center Near Charleston, SC
Losing weight can be tough, but it doesn’t need to be. At Metabolic Medical Center, our doctors can help you with your weight loss journey and get you to your weight goals. Call us today or request an appointment online. We serve patients from Mt Pleasant SC, Whitehall Terrace SC, and Wando SC.
Losing weight is different for everyone, and often it isn’t easy, especially with the abundance of junk foods in stores and fast food restaurants on every corner. At Metabolic Medical Center, we know how difficult it can be to lose weight, that is why we have developed several different programs to help you burn off that extra fat!
How can a doctor help me lose weight?
Doctors can help you lose weight in a variety of ways. First, it’s important to understand your situation, so you should ask lots of questions pertaining to your scenario.
It helps if you can write down any questions for the doctor or nurse ahead of time. If able, you can print out this list of questions and take it to your appointment with a pen or pencil for taking notes. You may also want to ask a family member or close friend to go with you for support.
- How does my weight affect my health?
- Do I have a health problem that’s causing me to be overweight?
- How will losing weight help me?
- What is a healthy weight for me?
- How much weight do I need to lose?
- How long should it take to lose weight?
- What are healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight?
- How can I change my eating habits?
- What kind of physical activity should I do?
- Should I avoid any kinds of physical activity because of my health conditions?
- Could a weight loss program help me?
- What type of weight loss program would be recommended for me?
What type of doctor helps with weight loss?
Weight loss can be emotionally and physically exhausting, especially if your weight poses a threat to your health. Obesity is a risk factor for a variety of conditions including heart attack and joint problems. A doctor specializing in weight loss can help you develop a plan to lose weight safely if you’ve tried losing weight on your own without success. Weight loss typically starts with your family physician, who can make basic nutrition and exercise recommendations and offer you a referral to a specialist.
If your family physician refers you, chances are you’ll be referred to a bariatric physician. Bariatric physicians study obesity, its causes and its prevention. A bariatric physician is well-equipped to provide you with information about exercise and in-depth nutritional information. Exercise can carry some additional risks if you are morbidly obese. Your bariatric physician can advise you about how to minimize these risks. Bariatric surgeons are a subset of bariatric physicians who perform weight loss surgery. Your physician may refer you to a bariatric surgeon for a consultation about weight loss surgery if your weight loss efforts are failing and you need to lose weight to remain healthy.
Is medical weight loss for me?
Through changing your relationship with food by eliminating harmful eating habits and adapting a healthier lifestyle, medical weight loss empowers you to lose weight without surgery.
The benefits of medical weight loss go far beyond a smaller waistline: it can also lower blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels, and reduce the pain in weight-bearing joints.
- The amount of weight you want to lose
- Your related medical conditions
- The non-surgical weight loss options you choose
- The personal commitment you bring to the process
Non-surgical medical weight loss services may be the right choice for you, if:
- You prefer to lose weight without surgery;
- You do not qualify for bariatric surgery;
- You have tried dieting on your own without success;
- You are worried about other health issues such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or sleep apnea that may be the result of your weight gain;
- You need to lose weight before bariatric surgery.
If you or someone you know is struggling to lose weight, you’re not alone. With this in mind, Metabolic Medical Center has developed several weight loss programs to help you reach your weight goals! Contact our office today to get in touch with a specialist. To book an appointment, call us or visit us online!