Tips for Parents in Columbia SC, Murrells Inlet SC, Mount Pleasant SC, West Ashley SC, Bluffton, SC
- Offer healthy food choices to your child at snacks and meals. Keeping a bowl of washed fruit* on the counter can encourage having fruit as a snack. Washed and cut vegetables in the refrigerator make a handy, quick snack.
- Consider ending your meal with a piece of fresh fruit* instead of a rich dessert.
- Carefully control what you cook, how you cook, and the size of food portions.
- Make time to exercise: after meals, take a walk as a family; turn off the TV or computer and use the time to move.
- Check to see if candy and soda vending machines are in your child’s school and ask when students are allowed to use them. You may need to advocate for their removal.
- Read the school lunch menus and ask how foods are being prepared. Talk with your child about his or her food choices.
- Make wise food choices: choose lower fat foods and consume fried foods rarely. Choose smaller portions.
- Select water or reduced fat milk to drink rather than soda with your meal.
- Model the behavior you want your child to do by making wise food and exercise choices for yourself.
*choose fruits that are lower in sugar. Some fruits like bananas and pineapples have high sugar content.
“You don’t have to be bored when using the treadmill”, by Fiona Soltes
Gannett News Service.
Lets think of a few ways you might actually enjoy that treadmill….
“What is Protein?”,
Protiens are the basic constituent of all living organisms…
“Vitamins” Definition: A group of substances essential to normal metabolism, growth and development…
“Tips for Dining Out” It’s a lot easier to control what you are going to eat in a restaurant than at someone else’s dinner table…
“Setting Goals” A few tips to help you build your goal setting skills…